Undergoing tummy tuck surgery can be an excellent way for both men and women to rejuvenate their appearance. This body contouring procedure is ideal for patients who are struggling with stretched, hanging skin around their abdomen. During a tummy tuck, I am able to surgically remove excess skin and fat from the abdomen to help patients achieve a trimmer, firmer tummy area. Weakened or separated abdominal muscles can also be tightened during the procedure for patients who require it.
Like any other cosmetic surgery procedure, there is a considerable amount of planning and preparation required before a tummy tuck. One of the most important parts of the planning stage is the pre-surgery consultation with your board-certified plastic surgeon. Your consultation is the time to discuss your surgery, as well as your specific aesthetic goals and expectations, in an in-depth manner. It can also provide an opportunity to address any specific questions and concerns you have about your procedure. To help any prospective tummy tuck patients prepare themselves for surgery, I have provided the following list of essential questions to ask your plastic surgeon during your tummy tuck consultation.
- Are you certified by any plastic surgery boards?
- How much experience do you have performing tummy tuck procedures?
- Do you have before-and-after photos from past tummy tuck patients you have worked with?
- What makes someone a good candidate for a tummy tuck?
- Have you developed any special or signature techniques for performing tummy tuck procedures?
- How much recovery time is generally required after a tummy tuck?
- How long will it take to see the final results from my procedure?
- Are there any risks associated with this surgery?
- Will my procedure require a hospital stay and, if so, at which hospitals do you have hospital privileges?
- How much post-surgery scarring is typical following a tummy tuck?
- How should I prepare in the days and weeks leading up to my surgery?
- What should I do after my surgery to promote the best-possible results from my tummy tuck?
I highly recommend that patients take their pre-surgery consultation seriously and do plenty of research leading up to their initial appointment. Although patients will likely have plenty of additional questions specific to their personal needs and expectations, these questions can serve as a helpful baseline. If you would like to learn more about tummy tuck surgery or schedule a plastic surgery consultation, please contact me, Dr. Allyson B. Maske, or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for more tips, news, and more.