In 2014 the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reported that over 1.6 million cosmetic surgery procedures were performed in the United States alone. I’m always curious to see the latest statistics because it gives us insight into popular procedures and emerging trends in plastic surgery. This year, I noticed a nice increase in the number of body contouring procedures patients received and wanted to share some highlights on what makes the top two procedures, liposuction and tummy tuck, so popular.
- Over 210,000 procedures were performed in 2014, a 5% increase from the previous year.
- Liposuction eliminates pockets of small, localized fat from the body.
- Popular areas for liposuction include: abdomen, legs, back, arms, buttocks and chin.
- Both men and women enjoy the benefits liposuction has when combatting unwanted fat.
- Contrary to some belief, liposuction is not a solution for weight loss and not all candidates may be appropriate for liposuction procedures.
- Liposuction is often combined with other cosmetic procedures like tummy tuck, mommy makeover and post-weight loss surgery.
- Liposuction results are typically seen within three to four weeks of the procedure, once swelling has subsided.
Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- Over 117,000 procedures were performed last year, a 5% increase since 2013.
- The main objective for tummy tuck patients is to achieve a firmer, smoother abdominal area.
- Ideal candidates are mothers who are not planning on having any more children or men and women who have lost substantial amounts of weight and are left with excess skin.
- When performing a tummy tuck procedure, fat and excess, sagging skin is removed from the midsection. For mothers who have weakened abdominal muscles (post-childbirth), tummy tucks can retighten the muscles by closing the gap between the rectus abdominis to create a more streamlined midsection.
With body contouring procedures, the ultimate goal of a slimmer contour can be long-lasting if patients diligently do their part to maintain their tummy tuck or liposuction results. Despite the fact that fat cells are permanently removed during these procedures, there is a chance that a patient can experience changes later down the road if exercise and healthy eating are not incorporated into their routine to help with weight fluctuations that can result in additional fat pockets and stretched skin. If you’re interested in learning more about body contouring procedures, contact Dr. Allyson Maske to set up a consultation. You can also stay connected through Facebook, Twitter and Google+ for plastic surgery news and updates.