My Mommy Makeover Checklist
A mommy makeover refers to several cosmetic surgical procedures that are used following pregnancy to restore a woman’s body to her pre-pregnancy state. A mommy makeover typically involves a combination of procedures on the abdomen (including the waist), and breasts. The procedures can include but are not limited to a tummy tuck, breast lift, breast augmentation, breast reduction, and liposuction.
What can I expect following surgery?
- Bandages or gauze may be applied to your surgical incisions.
- You may be asked to wear compression garments around the abdomen and breasts to support them and help reduce swelling.
- Your surgeon will give you specific instructions on medications he or she may prescribe following your surgery.
- You may need a small tube inserted in the incisions in order to drain away fluid.
- You may experience slight and temporary redness, swelling and bruising. These should go away in one to three weeks.
What can I expect during my recovery?
- Resting quietly is important to avoid complications.
- Get up and walk around, though slowly, after surgery to discourage the formation of blood clots, but avoid strenuous exercise.
- Take any medications as prescribed by your surgeon.
- You should plan to take about two weeks off from work or get some assistance with small children so you can take it easy during this time.
What questions should I ask about recovery?
- What is normal and what is not normal?
- How long will the drains be in place?
- When may I resume normal activity such as exercise?
- When can I bath or shower?
- When is my follow-up appointment?
Full recovery from a mommy makeover can be up to six months depending on the procedure or procedures involved. This mostly involves some minor but temporary swelling. An important consideration is having someone to help you around the house during your first two weeks following your surgery. It is important not to return to normal activity too soon.
We’re always happy to educate and reassure our patients. For more information on this topic and the plastic surgery procedures we perform or to schedule a consultation appointment today, please contact Atlanta Plastic Surgery at one of our Atlanta, Canton, Midtown, Northside/Sandy Springs, and Cumming/Forsyth area locations. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook for additional plastic surgery tips, news, photos, and much more.