Breast Augmentation commonly referred to as a “boob job,” is a procedure to enhance and increase the size of the breasts using implants or fat transfer. Breast implants are available in either silicone or saline implants and come in round, structured, smooth and form stable also referred to as gummy bear implants.
When deciding on Breast Augmentation surgery, there are numerous questions you should consider asking during your consultation with your plastic surgeon.
Is My Plastic Surgeon Qualified?
- Are you board certified in plastic surgery? Board certification is the best measure that you have of the surgeon’s training in their field. In the United States, the American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties to certify surgeons in their field.
- What is your experience in performing Breast Augmentation surgery, and what training have you had in the area of Breast Augmentation?
- What hospital(s) do you have privileges to perform surgery? Do you have before and after photos of past Breast Augmentation surgeries?
- What are the costs, associated fees, and financing that are available for Breast Augmentation?
What Breast Augmentation Procedure is Best for Me?
- You should be prepared to discuss with the surgeon if you are a good candidate for Breast Augmentation.
- What is expected of me to get the best results from my breast augmentation?
- What will be expected of me prior to my breast augmentation? Can you provide instructions and explain what I will need following my breast augmentation Surgery?
- What type and size implants is best for me?
- Will the implants go above or below the muscle?
Other questions to ask:
- When can I return to normal activity following my surgery?
- What are the risks of a breast augmentation procedure?
- How long will the procedure take?
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- How long will you be in post-operative recovery?
- Will I be able to breastfeed after the surgery?
- Will my breasts change over time or if I become pregnant and breastfeed?
- What if I want the implants removed later on?
Knowing what questions to ask about your breast augmentation procedure will help establish a good relationship with your surgeon. Open and frank communication can lead to patient satisfaction and realistic expectations as both you and your surgeon work on a treatment plan together.
We’re always happy to educate and reassure our patients. For more information on this topic and the plastic surgery procedures we perform or to schedule a consultation appointment today, please contact Atlanta Plastic Surgery at one of our Atlanta, Canton, Northside/Sandy Springs, and Cumming/Forsyth area locations. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook for additional plastic surgery tips, news, photos, and much more.