You may be considering breast reconstruction surgery following a lumpectomy, mastectomy or a double mastectomy. Breast reconstruction can help restore feelings of femininity, and body confidence and help improve the balance between the breasts if only one breast is affected. If you decide to do breast reconstruction surgery, it’s important to know what to expect during your initial consultation with your surgeon at Atlanta Plastic Surgery.
What should I expect during my initial consultation?
You should be prepared to candidly discuss your goals, your current state of health, any medications you are currently taking, any smoking or drug use and previous surgeries. Due to its in-depth nature, there may be a cost for this initial consultation.
What are the important questions to ask?
Here are some of the important questions to ask your surgeon.
- What are your specific credentials?
- Are you specifically trained in plastic surgery?
- Am I a good candidate for this surgery?
- How long is the recovery time?
- What do I have to do to achieve good results?
- How and where will you perform this surgery?
- If the surgery is at a hospital, do you have admitting and surgical privileges there?
- Is your office based surgical facility accredited by a state or national agency?
- What are the possible complications and how will they be handled?
- Do you have before and after photos of the procedure?
- What if I am unhappy with the results?
- What is the cost for the procedure?
- Will I need a follow up consultation?
We’re always happy to help educate and reassure our patients. For more information on this topic and any other plastic surgery procedures we perform, schedule a consultation appointment today at Atlanta Plastic Surgery. We have offices in Atlanta, Lawrenceville, Northside/Sandy Springs, and Cumming/Forsyth area locations. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook for additional plastic surgery tips, news, photos, and much more.