You have decided to have breast augmentation surgery. So, what is next? In this blog we will discuss some tips on preparing yourself, your family, and your home both before and after your surgery.
Briefly, breast augmentation will provide the breasts with a fuller and more enhanced appearance. Breast augmentation involves using breast implants and/or fat transfer to restore the size and shape of the breasts.
Tips on preparing for your surgery
Before your surgery you should:
- Be in good physical and mental health. Being in good shape and having a positive attitude will go a long way in promoting a good healing process and positive outcome.
- Make sure you discuss all your known medical history, conditions, and prior surgeries with your surgeon.
- Disclose all medications you are taking including over the counter medicines as well as vitamins to your surgeon.
- Attend all pre-operative and post-operative appointments with your plastic surgeon.
- Get pre-surgery blood work.
- Arrange to have someone to drive you to and from the facility following your procedure. You should also have someone at home to help with routine household chores for the first few days of your recovery.
- Arrange for someone to take care of your children or your pets for the first week following your surgery.
- Prepare meals ahead of time. The last thing you will want to do following the surgery is cook and it is important to eat healthy especially while your body heals.
- Stop smoking before and after surgery as smoking can have a negative impact on the healing process.
- Stop taking aspirin and certain other anti-inflammatory drugs that can increase bleeding.
- Stop using recreational drugs.
- Stay hydrated both before and after surgery to promote proper healing.
- The night before your surgery, prepare your home for your recovery so that you have as little lifting and straining as possible.
- Stay in close communication with your surgeon to ensure all your questions and concerns are answered.
This is not an all-inclusive list as you and your plastic surgeon will go over all the preparations you need to do prior to your surgery, but we like to provide some general information ahead of time. As always, follow all directions from your plastic surgeon and attend all your follow up appointments.
We’re always happy to help educate and reassure our patients. For more information on this topic and any other plastic surgery procedures we perform, schedule a consultation appointment today at Atlanta Plastic Surgery. We have offices in Atlanta, Lawrenceville, Northside/Sandy Springs, and Cumming/Forsyth area locations. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook for additional plastic surgery tips, news, photos, and much more.