Breast Revision Surgery at Atlanta Plastic Surgery, P.C.
Performed at our Atlanta, Alpharetta, Cumming and Newnan, GA locations.
Breast revision surgery may be necessary years after breast augmentation for various reasons. Patients that desire a smaller breast implant, those not impressed with their results, or those that develop breast complications may search for another doctor who can correct the procedure. Breast revision surgery may be necessary in the following instances:
- Breast Volume/Shape Change: Weight fluctuation is natural with or without cosmetic surgery, so chances are breast augmentation patients are likely to experience weight gain or loss at some point post-op. Breast revision surgery may be necessary to maintain overall body proportion depending on the significance of the weight change.
- Breast Implant Deflation: In some rare cases breast implants can rupture or leak, causing saline implants to deflate. Ruptures in silicone implants are detected with an MRI. In either case, ruptured or leaking implants need to be removed and replaced.
- Breast Implant Exchange: There are two types of breast implants: saline and silicone. Saline breast implants are made of a soft silicone shell that is inflated with the desired amount of sterile liquid saline solution. Conversely, silicone breast implants are made of a similar silicone shell manufactured with specific amounts of silicone gel inside and inserted (already full) during breast augmentation. Given the various viscosities of the implants’ filling, sometimes breast enhancement patients request breast implant exchange switching their saline implants for silicone, or changing their silicone implants for saline) to meet their personal cosmetic concerns.
- Silicone Implant Shell Leak: In some exceptional cases, silicone implants can rupture and leak, in which case they are detected with an MRI and need to be exchanged.
- Desired Size Change: Some women struggle to choose a size that they will be happy with. Sometimes breast implants may be larger than desired, and other times they may not have been a big enough change. In either case, implants can be exchanged.
- Capsular Contracture: Breast implants do not get hard, but scar tissue around implants can get hard, creating capsular contracture, which can worsen if patients ignore proper post-op care. Our Atlanta Plastic Surgeons, PC have devised methods for handling and improving capsular contracture.
- Shifted Breast Implants: Although uncommon, there is a chance that breast implants, if they do not have enough support from surrounding muscle, can shift or rotate causing asymmetry implants can be textured or smooth, tear drop, or round depending on the patient’s desired look. Tear drop implants must be textured so that they will less likely shift or rotate and cause very noticeable asymmetry. Round breast implants can be smooth or textured because the shape of the breast will not change even if implant(s) shift or rotate.
- Infection or Allergy: While it’s very rare, there is a chance that a woman’s body may reject a breast implant, causing an infection. In the instance of infection, the patient is prescribed a round of antibiotics followed (typically) by implant removal. At this point, doctors will try to replace the implant with a different implant (usually saline) so that the body may better adapt.
The components of breast revision surgery vary with every patient so it is important to find a surgeon who is experienced performing this surgery. Also, get to know the doctor who will be performing your breast revision surgery, and ask if he has worked with this type of problem before. If he/she has not, then do not be afraid to find someone who has. Breast revision surgery may be necessary, but finding the right doctor for the job limits the risk of having to have additional breast revision surgeries.
Consultations are available at our offices in Atlanta, Alpharetta, Cumming / Forsyth, Newnan, and Northside / Sandy Springs, Georgia. The following surgeons at Atlanta Plastic Surgery perform breast revision surgery: Click here to view before and after breast revision surgery pictures.