Ear Surgery – Otoplasty at Atlanta Plastic Surgery, P.C.
Performed at our Atlanta, Alpharetta, Cumming and Newnan, GA locations.
Whether you are a young child or a full grown adult, the look and position of your ears can make a big difference in the overall look of your head and face. For those who are self-conscious about the look of their ears, ear surgery (also known as otoplasty) may be recommended to improve the appearance of the ears and to make them better aligned with the face and head. The goal for this procedure is to make the ears symmetrical and reshape any deformed cartilage. If needed, the procedure can change the shape and size of the ear, too.
Otoplasty is commonly performed on young children, because the ear has reached 90 percent of its adult size by the time a child reaches the age of four. Despite the widely held belief that ears cannot be set back once a person reaches adolescence, teenagers and adults are also excellent candidates for otoplasty.
The procedure involves making an incision behind the ear whereby the excess cartilage causing the protrusion is either sculpted or folded over. In some instances, parts of excess cartilage in the ear may be removed. The incision is then stitched together, pulling the ear closer to the head.
Otoplasty surgery can also be a reconstructive surgery solution for deformities of the ear, including microtia or the near absence of the external ear, prominent ears, or constricted ear (loss of height in the ear).
View ear surgery / Otoplasty photos and learn more about this procedure such as costs, risks, advanced techniques, and frequently asked questions. Consultations are available at our offices in Atlanta, Alpharetta, Newnan, and Northside / Sandy Springs.
FAQ’s about Otoplasty (Ear Surgery)
- Can otoplasty reduce the size of the ear?
- Most otoplasty procedures are performed to reduce the prominence of the ears, hence the procedures other name- “ear pinning”. There are instances, however where the size of the ear is to be adjusted. In these cases, Atlanta Plastic Surgery’s plastic and reconstructive surgeons will place small incisions inside the rim of the ear or discreetly in front to remove excess cartilage.
- Are the scars from otoplasty noticeable?
- Just as with a facelift or forehead lift, every effort is made to conceal surgical scars within the natural folds and plane changes of the face. With most ear surgeries, scars can be easily hidden on the back of the ear where the ear and the side of the head meet.
- Is otoplasty considered a plastic surgery procedure or a reconstructive procedure?
- Otoplasty can be performed to remedy congenital defects, effects of trauma, and cosmetic concerns like overly pronounced ears. Depending upon the patient’s symptoms, different surgical techniques will be used. For patients with deformities of the ears like microtia, or near absence of a tangible outer ear structure, prosthetic facial implants may be used.
- What does recovery from ear surgery involve?
- Depending on the age of the otoplasty patient, ear surgery may be performed under local or general anesthesia. After the procedure is complete, the ears will be wrapped in heavy gauze and tape for a few days while the incisions heal. Upon removal of the dressing l, ear surgery patients should wear a light weight fabric head band to protect their ears from trauma during activity and sleep. Most ear surgery patients may return to their normal activities within two weeks of their surgery, although results will vary from patient to patient.
Consultations are available at our offices in Atlanta, Alpharetta, Cumming / Forsyth, Newnan, and Northside / Sandy Springs, Georgia. The following doctors perform Ear Surgery at Atlanta Plastic Surgery. Click on a doctor to learn more about their practice and to view Before & After otoplasty photographs.