Eyelid Surgery at Atlanta Plastic Surgery, P.C.
Performed at our Atlanta, Alpharetta, Cumming and Newnan, GA locations.
The area around a person’s eyes can be the first part of the body to show prominent signs of aging. For patients who wish for a more youthful look, but do not need or wish to undergo a full facelift, your surgeon may recommend eyelid surgery. This surgery, known as blepharoplasty, is a procedure to remove fat and excess skin from the upper and lower eyelids. Most patients opt for eyelid surgery to restore a more youthful and rested look to the eye area and to correct excess hanging skin from the upper eyelid, although the procedure can also correct drooping upper eyelids and puffy bags below the eyes that may create unattractive folds and bulges or even impair vision.
Blepharoplasty may also correct issues in the lower section of the eyes, including wrinkles around the lower eyelids, bags under the eyes, and/or droopy excess skin around the lower eyelids.
Most patients who undergo this procedure are above the age of 35, but if these physical characteristics run in your family, you may consider having eyelid surgery at a younger age.
The blepharoplasty surgery procedure involves making an incision along the natural lines of your eyelids to minimize scarring. The plastic surgeon separates the skin from underlying tissue, removes excess fat, then trims sagging skin and muscle to tighten the skin around the eyes. In some instances, surgery of the lower eyelids can be performed without an external scar. For this type of procedure, fat is removed using an incision within the internal portion of the lower eyelid in order to correct the bagginess. Skin tightening is often done in conjunction with eyelid surgery, performed using laser resurfacing or chemical peel.
View Eyelid Surgery Photos for men and women and learn more about blepharoplasty surgery such as costs, risks, advanced techniques, and frequently asked questions about bags under the eyes. Consultations are available at our offices in Atlanta, Alpharetta, Newnan, and Northside / Sandy Springs.
- Who is a good candidate for blepharoplasty?
- Facial rejuvenation patients who wish to reduce excess skin on their upper or lower eyelids that contributes to the appearance of drooping lids and tired-looking eyes are good blepharoplasty candidates.
- Can blepharoplasty be used to get rid of the dark circles underneath my eyes?
- Dark, under-eye circles are caused by a variety of things including: allergies, increased fat deposits, and genetics. While blepharoplasty is designed to surgically remove the fat deposits underneath the eyes, if this is not the cause of your dark circles, this cosmetic surgery procedure will not treat the issue.
- Can blepharoplasty give me the appearance of a more prominent eyelid?
- Yes, in addition to reducing excess fat around the eye, blepharoplasty can also include the insertion of stitching to make the eyelid crease more pronounced. Upper eyelid surgery can yield especially advantageous blepharoplasty results to those patients whose ethnicities naturally flatter certain facial features.
- What other cosmetic surgery procedures, besides eyelid surgery, can be used to make my eye area look younger?
- Atlanta Plastic Surgery offers an array of facial rejuvenation procedures to remedy cosmetic concerns with the eyes. Similar to the way blepharoplasty may be used to reduce excess skin of the upper and/or lower eyelid, brow lift or forehead lift surgery can trim the excess skin on the forehead and tighten the underlying muscles so that the brows are repositioned to a more youthful location. Additionally, skin treatments like Botox® and Dysport® can temporarily help reduce the appearance of wrinkles between the eyes. Products like Latisse® can also be used to boost the body’s ability to grow and maintain eyelashes and is available at our office by prescription only.
Consultations are available at our offices in Atlanta, Alpharetta, Cumming / Forsyth, Newnan, and Northside / Sandy Springs, Georgia. The following doctors perform Eyelid surgery at Atlanta Plastic Surgery, P.C. Click on a doctor to learn more about their practice and to view Before & After eyelid surgery photographs.